So this past week I had two video projects due. The first was a science demonstration video on density and the second was a video on who I am and what brought me to the UVIC education program.

For my first video, my demonstration on density, I shot the entire thing in one take using photo booth on my computer and then converted it into IMovie to add a few words on the screen while I was talking about certain things. To do this I simply cut the video and replaced a small chunk with the words I wanted on the screen.

For my second video I used keynote and set up the video using images and transitions and used a voice over which took a lot of effort to get the timing right. I recorded my voice (many, many times) using the voice recorder app on my phone while watching my presentation on a different device so I could line up my voice with the slides. I then played my voice recording and my video at the same time while screen recording and voila my video was made. This took a lot takes trying to get the timing of everything right, as we also had a time limit for our video, but I managed to complete it!

It was interesting playing with different types of audio editing, image editing, and video editing and all free apps you can download on your device. I’m usually not one for making videos because I always pick up every little mistake or flaw and have to start again which makes me nervous to record in the first place (thanks to my fear of performing) but these two projects were actually quite enjoyable to create!

I have added the link to my density demonstration video here if anyone is interested in seeing science you can do at home!

Feature photo taken from unsplash by Peter Stumpf